VETERINARY & ANIMAL HUSBANDRY DEPARTMENT NAGARKURNOOL DISTRICT
The office of Assistant Director (AH) Nagarkurnool has come in to existence as per G.O.Ms.No.23F & RD Dept , Dated: 09.03.1976, under Drought Prone Area Programme.It is now a District head quarter and is now District Veterinary and Animal Husbandry office Nagarkurnool from 11.10.2016 onwards Vide G.O.Rt No.158, AH DD & F (AH) Dept Dated:11.10.2016 Presently under the jurisdiction of this district, it comprises of 89 Institutions covered in 20Mandals w.e.f 11-10-2016 The area falls in Nagarkurnool, Achampet, Kalwakurthy, Kollapur & partly of Jedcherla assembly segments.
Animal Husbandry Department:
- Improving the production potential by way of breed up gradation in cattle and buffaloes through Artificial insemination.
- Providing preventive and curative health care to livestock through constant vigil on disease outbreaks, rendering preventive vaccinations, deworming and treatment of ailing animals.
- Augmenting fodder production to meet the nutritional requirements of livestock.
- Providing relief measures to livestock during natural calamities.
- Building awareness among farmers on profitable livestock production.
- Coordinating with health department in controlling diseases of zoonotic importance.
- Providing technical support to livestock-based poverty alleviation programme.
- Updating the skills of technical as well as Para veterinary staff at regular intervals in the areas of scientific breeding, feeding and management of livestock.
Essentially, the topography of the area is generally rocky with gravel patches. The soil is predominantly red with chalky patches while black cotton soil is found in Bijinepally, Nagarkurnool & Tadoor. There are assured sources of irrigation through MGKLI & tanks, while the main source of irrigation is Bore wells. While the main rainfed crops are Maize, Jowar, Castor, Red Gram, and Millets, under irrigation sources, Paddy, Groundnut and Cotton are also grown. The major source of income of farmers of this area thus, is from agriculture, sheep rearing and Dairy (Dairy cattle rearing in Kalwakurthy, Vangoor, Urkonda, Veldanda & parts of Achampet &Nagarkurnool Area).